Monday, September 19, 2005 Suscribe to this blog


Elitist sanny @ 12:40 PM


Our neighbourhood shopping centre is slowly ceasing to become our 'personal' neighbourhood shopping centre. For one, a new Popular branch has opened there. Not that that's a bad thing (for the stationery shop downstairs, yes it's bad but for us customers the more the merrier). The more the merrier? Not necessarily. Anyway, Popular plus the numerous events held every other day for the kids (again, I'm sure the neighbourhood kids are thrilled) has attracted shoppers by the swarms.

I like my neighbourhood shopping centre because it used to be so much quieter. I know I'm being selfish and thinking only on the customer's perspective lah. It's just that, now, the centre doesn't feel so much 'personal' (as in 'belongs to the neighbourhood') as it is mass. It's slowly turning into a mass public shopping centre! Elitist tendencies? Probably. Now, I feel more conscious whenever I go out in my shorts and T-shirts because the visitors are no longer kha ki lang or 'homies' (not that I know the regular shoppers but you know that they're mostly people who live nearby) but also include people who live outside the neighbourhood. And word has it that the government plans to turn that district into the new de facto shopping area in 2009. Everywhere it's the erosion of the neighbourhood shopping centre.



comments
Blogger sanny said...

isn't it? yes nice song by namie amuro, ups & downs...i love the lyrics too ♥
3:23 PM  
♥ Put your finger in the pie ♥
Back to main page