Tuesday, June 20, 2006 Suscribe to this blog

Click for related scribbles
Fellowship of the W.C. sanny @ 12:29 PM


No, not the toilet. Of course I meant World Cup, what else? It's that time of the (four) year(s) again. Now me, I don't bother much about the tactics and all that as compared to the irrationality and the romantic (as in dramatic) notion of the game. Basically this applies to all sports I watch. I basically just watch sports for fun and not over-analyse formations.

Ok enough basa-basi. It's nearing half of the tournament now and already some teams have qualified, some butchered (poor S&M - but what a game by Argentina), some still awaiting their judgment day. But no big spectacle is complete without eye candies Not to say that we girls are superficial, we admire both skill and looks (Me and my sisters do). At least we're not as pretentious as the guys who accuse us of bimbotism (well I don't mind the tag - like, whatever) while they ogle at the scantily-clad female fans. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Anyway, my brother joked that all the better players are better looking than the rest of the squad...which is not entirely baseless. Actually, my theory is that, someone may not be really handsome or pretty but if they're talented somehow it'll make them shine.

And let the photos roll...Sanji - Davy Back Fight Ball Stage

1. Blondie a.k.a. the current W.C. top scorer: Fernando Torres (España)
Scored Spain's second goal against Tunisia
Well, this is a very 'what the?!' pose imo, but I'm just posting this 'cos I'm curious about the tattoo...I don't like tattoes (or blond hair) but my curiosity's at it again. You know, I noticed that another Spanish player has a similar looking tattoo on the arm (S. Ramos, I think)...

yes that must be it PS: Ouuh! Just found out over the web (I must be too free - it's only my 2nd day in the finance dept - and yes there's no cure for my curiosity, at least for the 1st 3 minutes) that it's actually his own name written in some J.R.R. Tolkien's Elvish language...siaoo!!! Is LOTR very big in Spain? If I was Spanish I'd much prefer to read gems by the many super talented writers like Cervantes or Gabriel G. Marquez...Edric has the LOTR trilogy...but before I pick up a fantasy novel I'd much sooner sit down with a pile of comics like One Piece, haha.




Well, here's a close-up from the previous match:
After the superb goal against Ukraine
Banyak flek deh...日焼け防止ローションを塗らないようです。

Oh, here's his teammate and Spain's captain...can you believe it? I thought Carlos Puyol (the one with the mie keriting hair - I used to be very biased and poke fun about it but in fact, he plays well) would be captain but apparently not. Is he the youngest International captain or what

2. Goalie Ganteng a.k.a. Iker Casillas (España)
真面目な人のようです
And to think, just the last W.C. he came on only because Canizares (correct spelling? I forgot), the original goalkeeper, was injured. Fast forward now and he's the captain. To Mr. photog: Nice capture, it'd be better if the hand's not in the way of the jersey though.

Enough of flamenco (amazingly, I always think of this when I think of folk dances - influenced by all those pics of flared-up skirts in mags etc when I was a kid), let's continue...

3. Seleção Cakep a.k.a. Kaka (Brasil)
Kaka and Cafu celebrating after the goal against Croatia - you know who's who
Niki doesn't know who's Kaka (a nickname btw), so I said, "Yang lebih cakep di Tim Brasil." My brother pitted in (correctly), "No, satu-satunya yang cakep di Tim Brasil." That about sums it up, lol. And so far, plus this not due to me being biased or anything, Kaka's been the best player with the most drive in the Seleção.


4. Tango Tackler a.k.a. Gabriel Heinze (Argentina)
Celebrating a superb performance from the team
Well, I included him 'cos he shares the same birthday as my brother James and because I like his name.

5. Crybaby a.k.a. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
After slotting home the penalty against Iran
I heard from James that he's the international footballer to front those funny Extra Joss ads after Del Piero...those Indon conglomerates are sure rich. TYK, that hilarious self-confessed couch potato/football fanatic/journalist, nominated him for the "Sob,sob,sob, I want my Mommy" title because he kept getting tackled and a lot of times the referees peanutted him. Anyway, he looked happy here. I think all most youngest children are...ehmm...with the exception of Edison Chen, who said he hardly cried ever since dunno when (aeons ago, according to him).
I saved the most candid pic for the last, ふふふ~hihi

6. Liverpool Lengzái a.k.a. Steven Gerrard (England)
Steven Gerrard pouting
The pic speaks (pouts) for itself, doesn't it? Ok, he may not be the most handsome, or metrosexual etc etc, but...人を引くことがある、でしょう?

Anyway, in case you're wondering, most, if not all, of these fellows above are taken/attached. Aside from businessmen's spouses, I guess their wife/girlfriend brigade forms the other group of tai-tais.



おまけ/ Selingan

Some other things:

'奶奶杀手' Old Coach: Marcello Lippi (Italia)
Over 60 and calm
Don't you think (I mean, compared to all the other coaches in the W.C. now)? Well, he might not be good looking in the past but at least he looks well groomed for his age.


Most likely to be mistaken for the Mafia: The Italian National Squad (Italia)
Alighting from the plane decked in D&G
Tell me, does this look like a brotherhood straight out of The Godfather or does this look like a brotherhood straight out of The Godfather.

Credits: All photos from fifaworldcup

Currently, the teams that are already through to the last 16:
Germany, Ecuador, England, Sweden, Argentina, Netherlands, Portugal, Brazil, Spain.

As it is, the group stages are concluding soon, I suppose I'll write again when I'm fuming mad (injustices, if any), in delirium (supported team(s) perform well), or any other fervent state of emotion during the W.C. tournament.