Wednesday, January 11, 2006 Suscribe to this blog


Late = No Tables! sanny @ 9:23 PM


*Beat own head* Ackk...I'm going to get scolded by my parents for reserving the Reunion Dinner table so late into January (my Mom had repeatedly reminded me to book early but I was too lazy to get the brochures around Orchard earlier, thinking that people here won't be so kiasu. Big mistake.) In the end, I did get a table at one of the restaurants BUT it's an outdoors table, without AC. Eh...I can already imagine the torrent of reprimands coming my way.

PS: by the way, Mar, I've already put up the remaining Monster comics files at YouSendIt. Sorry for uploading it so late! Ha-ha...who asked you not to transfer them to your comp the last time you're here? I have the Anime too btw, it's a good representation of the manga.

Speaking of reunion dinners and any other Chinese occasions, you know that everytime there's a big occasion the exquisite shark's fin soup would always be served, right? Now, here's a clip showing Kusano and Shige sampling a 40, 000 yen/portion (about US$300/S$ 600) Fukahire Ramen, or, Shark's Fin Noodle, in Japan's Chinatown district, Yokohama! Can you imagine it? They even had to eat it in the restaurant's VIP room. At first they thought 'Fukahire ramen' means there'd be a big glob of shark's fin on top of the noodle; that's why it's so expensive (when the waiter asked them whether they'd order 2 portions, they immediately dismissed the notion and replied they'd just have one-guess JE only provided them with enough kitty to buy one). Witness the shock on their faces as they found out that the Ramen is made fully from shark's fin (and Kusano's reaction after eating the Ramen with the high-grade Japanese beef, which they thought was char-siew initially). Kusano and Shige were very kampungan (aka country bumpkin-like) throughout; I think I would, too. 40, 000 yen a portion! It even came in a gold-plated serving pot! By the way, after the Washington Convention the capture of basking sharks has been deemed illegal, so there'd be no more imports of sharks' fins into Japan. In the show they showed the very last piece of shark's fin in the restaurant (may be made into about 10 more portions of the ramen); after that last piece is used up, there'd be no more serving of shark's fin! Kusano and Shige are lucky brats, aren't they? I feel quite guilty eating shark's fin now, but all the same, who wouldn't want shark's fin soup? As for the fukahire ramen, I'll pass, but if I were allowed to sample it, I wouldn't refuse (just a bit).






comments
Blogger sanny said...

I like it when Kusano said, "and I'm only just a high-schooler..." and the "Kamisama..." Shige also, "Ternyata gini toh..." wahahaha...norakkk heheheh...
11:12 AM  
♥ Put your finger in the pie ♥
Back to main page